Sunday, October 5, 2008

Redskins 23 Eagles 17

Another great win for the Skins today to go to 4-1 on the season. A lot of the talk this week centered on how this was a must-win for the Eagles and that the Skins were heavy underdogs. Somehow, I just didn’t see it that way, but nobody pays me for my opinion. I think we can say that the Skins are a legitimate playoff contender now. Some things I liked about the game this week:

Resilience. The Redskins took the best that the Eagles had to offer and stood strong. Not only that, they punched the Eagles in the nose a couple of times.

Versatility. The Eagles totally shut down Santana Moss today. I know because I started him on my fantasy team. The Redskins responded with a healthy dose of Clinton Portis and Chris Cooley, which will make them much harder to defend in the future. Campbell, Portis, Moss, Cooley – gives the Skins at least 4 dependable weapons every week.

Commitment to the Run. The Redskins ran for over 200 yards on the league’s best rushing defense. Take that, George Washington! (Thank you Robot Chicken Star Wars).

Ball Control. The Redskins again controlled the clock, holding the ball for almost 35 minutes. They generated 5 scoring chances, converting them all. And, they held the ball for the last 7 minutes of the game, thwarting any hope of an Eagles comeback. I remember that this was a staple of the Emmitt Smith Cowboys and how demoralizing it was. I like being on the other side of the equation now.

No Turnovers. I really liked the way Jason Campbell avoided the costly mistake. Several times during the game, he threw the ball away or took a knee when the Redskins had a broken play.

Next opponent: vs. St. Louis Rams. The Redskins must avoid a let-down at home against a team they should beat.

No comments: